Thursday, March 1, 2018

You have 10 minutes to go back in time to talk to a younger you. What do you say?

I don’t. While it might be great to tell myself what the winning lottery numbers are or about what stock to pick or how to deal with relationships, simply talking to my younger self could invoke a serious time paradox that would cause the entire universe to be destroyed. After all, the action of talking to myself would have one of five consequences:
  1. I listen to myself and thus change my life in such a way that there is no reason for future me to talk to past me, so that future me does not talk to past me, so that past me does not hear from future me, and the whole exercise never happened in the first place.

    2. I listen to myself and thus change my life in such a way that there is STILL a reason for future me to talk to past me, so that I have to do this whole episode AGAIN and we stay in this loop until either outcome 1 or outcome 3 occurs.

    3. I do not listen to myself and do everything the same anyway, which means I just wasted 10 minutes of my future life.

    4. My past self listens to my future self but this causes a creation of multiple universes with my past self doing really well but my future self never realizing any such benefits because I did not affect my past self in this universe but merely spawned a new one.

    5. The entire fabric of the space-time continuum collapses onto itself resulting in everything falling into the void.

    My money is on the fifth outcome.

No comments: